Monday, December 8, 2008

Vale Kerryn McCann

Some sad news.

When I wasn't attending gymnastics at the 2006 Commonwealth Games here in Melbourne, I made time for track and field events. I braved the hot sun and an uncovered part of the MCG to watch, among other things, the women's marathon. It was won impressively by Australia's own Kerryn McCann, a 'supermum' in every sense of the word. The crowd went nuts and appropriately so. It was a great thing to witness.

News sources reported this morning that McCann has lost her battle with cancer. My deepest sympathies go out to her family and friends. They will forever have the memory of the MCG crowd roaring and leaping to its feat with joy when she crossed the finish line. She's an inspiration to athletes everywhere.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

my love and support goes out to Kerryn's family :)

Anonymous said...

I get really angry and emotional about cancer for many reasons. I loathe this bloody disease. Condolences to Kerryn's family and close friends. Evil cancer has stolen her away from them far too prematurely. I hope they find strength and support in each other.

Wolfie. xx

Anonymous said...

I must say Kerryn's win in the 2006 marathon was the most exciting thing I saw at Comm Games. Also the most emotional when her husband and young son greeted her soon after the end of the race. They will have that beautiful memory and the wonderful footage as a comfort in years to come. My sympathies to Kerryn's family too.

Ribbity

Anonymous said...

also the aussie girl who battled to cross the line in the marathon at the 2006 CWG (there were 3 - this girl's name was Kate Smyth I think) she staggered past it and collapsed in the arms of an official after the race - apparently she is also battling a debilitating health condition as well, some say it may have resulted from her continuing to race the marathon at the CWG despite her state of exhaustion.