Wednesday, June 11, 2008

*knock knock* Housekeeping!

Four days. Wow, for this blog that's a long time between drinks!

There isn't much news circulating at the moment, except for news of a new-look website for the Victorian High Performance Centre (follow the link from GV's site) which looks pretty snazzy and Ashleigh B-tastic.

Oh, and I discovered that episodes of Road to Beijing are achived here.

So short of concocting my own news (Level 8 Champion Revealed to be Watergate's 'Deep Throat'! Josh Jefferis' Hair NOT His Own!) I thought I'd tappy-tap out some friendly reminders and rules for you good readers of this humble pile of bloggery. Yes, I realise it's a bit late in the game, but it's better late than never. Please take careful note of them. Re-read them if you wish to send me correspondence, send them to other people wishing to contribute, or by all means print them out and arrange them into a fashionable hat.


1. If you wish to contribute to this page in any form - such as photos, articles, competition reports or opinion pieces, please contact me via the email address listed on the top right of the page. You may remain anonymous if you wish, though full credit will be given for materials otherwise, and emailing me saves excessive Comment page space.

2. I am no longer a gymnast, I have never been a coach and I am most certainly not in any important administrative position such as judge or program co-ordinator. I have contacts who fit into these categories but far be it from me to speak for them. So please refrain from contacting me regarding gym product endorsement, expert opinion or athlete representation. That's not my bag, baby.

3. Any and all 'gossip' or news sent to me must be substantiated. If it is something arising out of your correspondence or contact with an athlete, please get their permission to make any of it public. I will *NOT* accept anything taken from an athlete's MySpace/Facebook/website without their knowledge or permission, or that of the site's administrator. And don't even try prefixing information taken from those sites with, "I heard that..." because lies like that make Baby Jesus cry.

4. Comments deemed flame-y will be deleted post haste. I read those things, y'know.

5. I am not writing this blog as a representative of, or in conjunction with, Gymnastics Australia or its affiliated state associations. So I'm not getting paid, I'm not doing subliminal advertising, I'm not looking to get hired by anyone, I'm not trying to bring them down, and I'm not a disgruntled former employee. So let me reassure you I'm not committing an act on par with those (steeeeyoopid) Liberal party guys.

6. I do not promote or encourage stalking, hassling, verbally assaulting, stealing or blackmailing of gymnasts, elite or otherwise. Constructive criticism, yes. Destructive behaviour in the name of investigative journalism, no.

7. On the topic of journalism - I am not a journalist, journalism student, freelance writer, budding editor or magazine contributor. I've always wanted to be (I'm still waiting for your call, IG), but sadly I stuck to an Arts degree with English and Linguistics units rather than the cut-throat Journalism and Professional Writing courses held at another campus. So please excuse any typographical or factual errors that may arise. I do my best to proof-read and edit where possible. A lot of the time, I'm just bloody tired when I crank a post out.

8. The reason you won't (and don't) see a lot of commentary on US Nationals/European Championships/NCAA finals/Bavarian Dwarf-Tossing and Gymnastics Festival at this blog is because of its very name - The Australian Gymnastics Blog. This is a space for commentary, analysis and general gymnastics fangirl/boy faffery relating to all things clad in green and gold because there aren't a lot of spaces on the internet for it to happen. Like unwashed backpackers in a Manchester hostel, we Aussie fans stick together. I'm an open-minded individual, I respect and admire the gymnasts that the world has on offer. But it is in this space, this wee little internet burrow, that this wibbly wombat celebrates all things about the sport as it plays out in this particular country.

Because if I don't, Grant Denyer will. And this is one medium I don't want that creepy, shiny hobbit taking hold of.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know why Dasha hasn't had a column in PerthNow for the past 2-3 weeks? Do you think shes stopped writing these columns permanently in the lead-up to the Olympics?

Mez said...

I noticed that myself. I assume it has to do with Olympic preparations. Otherwise I have no idea. I mean, Olivia was still writing hers up until last week...

Anonymous said...

On the Oz thing: When I visited Surefer's and such as a USN sailor in the 90s, I ran into lots of friendly English girlz and Danes and such. What's with the Oz maidchens? Why no love???

Mez said...

Get out. Now.