Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Nostalgic Faffery

1. GA have put online an archive of their old magazines published throughout the late 80's and 90's, "Ten" and "Australian Gymnast".

I used to get these when I was younger; they were available at my gym's front desk and I hve some issues from between 1996 and 1998. I didn't really KNOW who the gymnasts were, I just liked the pictures. I cut out said pictures for school collages and decoration, rendering the magazines pretty much useless. A year or two ago, however, I cracked them out again after a room-clean (they were discovered under a pile of other antiquated things) and marvelled at what I saw (on the pages that were not sliced and/or diced), knowing what I know now. I found photos of a young Lisa Skinner and a budding Olympic team in blazers too big for them. I found a photo featuring a very very young Phillippe Rizzo (his adorable mole was as visible as ever, even when he was standing at the back of a group in a black-and-white photo) and Brooke Walker. The results lists and tables compiled at the back of the magazine gave me the most thrill - I not only found Z. McLaughlin and A. Slater and B. Walker and K. Frketic's names from levels competitions and so on. I found Alyssa Camplin and Lydia Ierodiaconou as well, when they used to be gymnasts!

2. I am having trouble uploding the first of the Beijing retrospectives (it being a compilation of Georgia Bonora's preliminary routines. Next up: Ashleigh Brennan) thanks to NBC-Universal and the whole copyright thing. I don't wish to play with fire and risk getting my precious vids deleted so I might have to start a new profile or change the file name of the .wmv *sigh*. I find it odd that there are several users who have uploaded vids with 'Olympics' specifically in the title and THEY don't get their footage rejected...

3. Not nostalgic, but youthful all the same: AYOF profiles are up, click on the name to read the profile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the GA link - some of those from the 70's and 80's were very interesting - nice to see gymnasts that competed who are still involved in the sport. Heidi Amundsen coaches at Cheltenham and was also working at Vic HPC (not sure if she is still there) she is also Britt's mum